Thursday, May 09, 2013

here's to mothers...by mike

Here’s to Mothers!

"Here's To The Crazy Ones. The misfits. The rebels. The trouble-makers. The round pegs in the
square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules, and they have
no respect for the status-quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify, or vilify them.
About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the
human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world - are the ones who
DO !"

~ Apple Computers ~




Here’s to the Mothers!  The Counselors.  The Teachers.  The Taxi-drivers.  The Soccer moms.
  
They might be more round than they were before!  The ones who see our children differently.  They cling to rules, and they have tons of respect for routine.

You can quote them, tease them, glorify or argue with them.

About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them.  Because they raise our children.  They push the human race forward.  And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see Heaven in them.

Because the mother’s who are crazy enough to think they can mold our children - are the ones who DO!


Ok, so that was a little clumsy.  And maybe slightly offensive on the riff about roundness...and we’re moving on!  

Mother’s Day is fast approaching and one can’t help but think about the mother’s in ones life.  In my case: My mom and My wife.  From a boy’s (and man’s) perspective, a mother might be the most important, most uniquely suited figure to shape and mold a man.  

Please allow me a little personal indulgence.

I grew up in a family of 7 children.  I was right in the middle at number 4.  My dad was and is my hero.  I spent countless hours studying him, his mannerisms, his way of writing, and practicing on his ten-key calculator.  Having said that, my mom was and is special.  There is no substitute for Mom.  She was a fierce defender of her children.  Loyal and Loving. Always.  She was (and still is) my champion.

That is the overriding memory and feeling I have of my childhood about my mom.  She was always my champion.  She always had my back.  She was constantly building and encouraging and helping me to grow and develop what she saw as my talents and abilities.  And for that (and so much more) I can never repay what she gave me.

Some say that we men marry people similar to our mothers.  And in at least one important way that is true of me.  My wife and the mother of our children is also my champion.  Over the past 15 years, I have found it comforting (and also humorous) to know that she is always on my side.  She has always been incredulous that I lost a soccer game or didn’t score any goals, or failed at work or whatever.  She is always looking alternative reasons for my coming up short because surely it couldn’t have been a result of me, or my effort, or my shortcomings or weaknesses!  And I love that about Briana.  She thinks the world of me.  And that means the world to me.

There is so much more I could write.  So much more to explain.  So much to praise.
However, my favorite way to write about mothers is to do it with one word.

Thankless
Beautiful
Relentless
Messy
Tiresome
Incredible
Rewarding
Loving
Joyful
Difficult
Profound
Exhilarating
Crazy
Tedious
Frustrating
Hilarious
Hopeful
Fulfilling

My word is CHAMPION

What is your word?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...